Internships and Jobs
In These Times Seeks Associate Editor
In These Times, a not-for-profit national monthly magazine based in Chicago, seeks an editor to manage InTheseTimes.com and our workers’ rights blog, Working In These Times, and to work collaboratively on our print edition. Who are we looking for? Someone who:
- is an experienced editor (or, someone who, lacking direct editing experience, is a stellar writer and willing to learn how to edit)
- closely follows developments in labor, progressive politics and social movements, with firsthand connections in one or more of these arenas
- has an ambitious vision for InTheseTimes.com and brings new sources, writers and story ideas
- can manage and motivate a team of writers, interns and editors
- is comfortable with fact-checking and working in a CMS
- is both a careful line editor and a savvy big-picture editor
- thrives under pressure, turns around edits quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced position
- has a sense of fun.
A demonstrated understanding of and commitment to In These Times' mission is required. Multimedia and/or coding skills a plus.
Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples and two editing samples (with edits shown), and the date that you are available to join our staff to [email protected] with the subject line “Associate Editor.” This job will remain open until filled. No phone calls.
Finalists for this position will be given both editing and writing tests, which if passed will be followed by an interview.
Salary based on experience. This is a full-time Chicago-based union position (News Guild) that provides generous benefits—benefits that include paid medical and dental, employer matched 403B, three months paid parental leave, generous holidays (approximately 15 days per year), and 4 weeks paid vacation.
In These Times is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ethnicities and genders are encouraged to apply.