Internships & Jobs
Our volunteer editorial interns help produce both In These Times and our website, InTheseTimes.com. Depending on experience, interns fact-check, proofread, research articles, find photos, prep stories for web, post to social media and write. As much as possible, we tailor responsibilities according to the individual’s interests.
- Researching and fact-checking articles for In These Times and InTheseTimes.com
- Participating in submissions meetings
- Writing timely web stories
- Writing regular short features in the print magazine including “Act Now,” “Blueprints” and “Art Space” sections
- Pitching longer stories for print or for InTheseTimes.com, while receiving guidance from ITT editors in crafting pitches and pursuing story ideas
- Producing stories for InTheseTimes.com, including html formatting and photo research
- Assisting the web editor in content promotion, social media and traffic-tracking duties
Since In These Times is a nonprofit magazine, all volunteers will very occasionally be asked to help with publishing and fundraising tasks.
Applicants should have a strong interest in politics and independent media. Previous editorial and/or web experience is a plus but is not required.
When applying, please indicate when you are able to start and when you would want your internship to end. (Note that start and end dates of the internship are flexible.)
Applicants should e-mail a cover letter and résumé to Joel Bleifuss ([email protected]) , with the subject line EDITORIAL INTERNSHIP APPLICATION. Writing samples are encouraged, and these may be sent as attachments if they are in a .doc format.