Saturday, Aug 12, 2006, 9:02 am
Les Architectes du Cessez-le-Feu
Steve Clemons reports on France's diplomatic finesse.
In the end, the French maneuvered American agreement on the ceasefire and Israel's troop withdrawals -- and left Israel diplomatically cornered.
If John Bolton wants to take credit for any of this, let him -- but it was the French all the way.
The situation is still incredibly fragile -- but what the French did to outrun and outmaneuver Americans and Israelis who could not set the pace or terms of an endgame was needed and impressive.
More by Administrator
- Weekly Mulch: The EPA Can Regulate Carbon, For Now
- Weekly Mulch: Obama Lacks Vision on Energy, Stomach to Defend EPA
- Weekly Mulch: Interior to Lease More Wyoming Coal; Michigan’s Unfinished Oil Spill Clean-Up
- Weekly Mulch: Saying No to the Nuclear Option
- Weekly Diaspora: AZ Lawmakers Try to Ban Undocumented Children from Public School