Sunday, Feb 11, 2007, 3:54 pm
Dixie Chicks Win Grammy for “Not Ready to Make Nice”
Todd Leopold for CNN reports:
The Grammy Awards were nice to the Dixie Chicks, who won song of the year, a songwriter's award, for "Not Ready to Make Nice."
The Chicks -- Natalie Maines, Martie Maguire and Emily Robison -- shared the award with Dan Wilson, formerly of Semisonic and Trip Shakespeare.
"I, for the first time in my life, am speechless," said Maines, who became a controversial figure in 2003 after making critical comments about President Bush. "Not Ready to Make Nice" was a response to the controversy; after Maines' comments, the Chicks' songs were pulled from a number of country music stations and the group was pilloried by former fans.
More by Administrator
- Weekly Mulch: The EPA Can Regulate Carbon, For Now
- Weekly Mulch: Obama Lacks Vision on Energy, Stomach to Defend EPA
- Weekly Mulch: Interior to Lease More Wyoming Coal; Michigan’s Unfinished Oil Spill Clean-Up
- Weekly Mulch: Saying No to the Nuclear Option
- Weekly Diaspora: AZ Lawmakers Try to Ban Undocumented Children from Public School