In These Times is a progressive, nonprofit political magazine dedicated to supporting movements for economic, social, racial and environmental justice, with a special emphasis on workers’ rights and investigative reporting. Founded in 1976, the magazine has seen record growth over the past five years, as more and more people become engaged with democratic socialism, the movement for Black lives, and campaigns for workers’ rights.
We’re looking for a Major Gifts Associate to work alongside the Development Director to help grow our community of charitable donors, with an emphasis on individuals with the capacity to give $1,000 to $100,000 annually.
This is an ideal position for someone who enjoys working with funders who are passionate about social change and who shares that commitment. It’s also an opportunity to be part of the larger movement taking place within journalism to embrace the nonprofit model as a more sustainable approach, and to better serve the community of readers.
- Regularly connect with donors through email, phone calls, video calls, and occasional in-person events
- Conduct donor research and initiate contacts between the Executive Director, Development Director and members of the major donors
- Collaborate with the Development Director to develop a strategic, comprehensive approach to growing our community of readers who have added In These Times to their will or estate plan
- Maintain records and provide timely updates to contact reports
- Assist the Development Director and team as needed, including pulling fundraising reports and helping with mailings, events and promotions
- 2+ years’ experience in fundraising, sales, or similar position
- An ability and enthusiasm for engaging with people on the phone, in writing and in person about why they should support progressive media
- Enthusiastic and infectious attitude about progressive politics and social change
- Strong organizational skills
- Familiarity or comfort learning how to use donor management software
- Ability to work independently on projects
Salary and Benefits
Annual salary is $50,000, based on experience, with a scheduled 5% raise in April of 2023.
This is a full-time, 40-hour a week position with generous benefits, including:
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision insurance, including full coverage for partners and dependents
- 100% paid short-term and long-term disability insurance, as well as life insurance
- Employer matched (3%) SIMPLE IRA plan
- 16 paid holidays and 20 days paid vacation
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
In These Times is a NewsGuild union workplace, and this is a union position. Our offices are located in Chicago, Illinois, (just off the Western Blue Line) but we are currently working remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are open to this being a full-time remote position through March of 2023 and possibly longer.
In These Times is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position, along with your CV and clips, to email@example.com with the subject “Major Gifts Associate”. This position will remain open until it is filled. No phone calls.
In These Times is an equal opportunity employer. People of all classes, races, ethnicities, gender identities and abilities that are underrepresented in media are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, and we’re hoping to fill this position as soon as possible. If you’re interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.