Features » May 1, 2020
Workers Are Fighting for Their Lives on May Day. They Deserve to Be Heard.
A conversation with Adam Ryan, a Target worker in Virginia and liaison for Target Workers Unite.
In the Season Three finale, Working People talks with Adam Ryan, a Target worker in Virginia and liaison for Target Workers Unite, one of the groups that has been organizing the coordinated strike actions planned for May 1st, 2020. Adam discusses his life, his path to becoming a leftist and getting involved in labor organizing, and the conditions that Target employees have been working under even before the Covid-19 crisis began.
Help In These Times Continue Publishing
Progressive journalism is needed now more than ever, and In These Times needs you.
Like many nonprofits, we expect In These Times to struggle financially as a result of this crisis. But in a moment like this, we can’t afford to scale back or be silent, not when so much is at stake. If it is within your means, please consider making an emergency donation to help fund our coverage during this critical time.
Maximillian Alvarez is a writer and editor based in Baltimore and the host of Working People, "a podcast by, for, and about the working class today." His work has been featured in venues like In These Times, The Nation, The Baffler, Current Affairs, and The New Republic.
if you like this, check out:
- The Former Deadspin People Explain How to Launch a Worker-Owned Media Co-op That Might Succeed
- If “Cancel Culture” Is About Getting Fired, Let’s Cancel At-Will Employment
- OSHA Is Failing Essential Workers. Why Not Let Them Sue Their Bosses?
- Child Care Workers Are Now a Mighty Force With a Huge New Union. It Only Took 17 Years.
- California Hospital Workers Strike, Fracturing Pandemic’s Uneasy Labor Peace