Dear Mitt: The Emergency Room Is Not a Healthcare Plan

People don't die from lack of health insurance, Romney claims.

By Leo Gerard, United Steelworkers President

Billy Koehler died on March 7, 2009, for lack of health insurance. Mitt Romney said on Oct. 10, 2012, that’s impossible. The Republican nominee for president told The Columbus Dispatch newspaper last week: “We don’t have people that become ill, who die in their [RETURN TO ARTICLE]

• Reader Comments

“Silver foot in his mouth”? Really - plagerizing a comment from the 88 DNC? Also if you’re going to quote Romney - do it in its full context - not in the manner you want.

Posted by Craig Brockman on Oct 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Hey Ronmey have you ever had a blister on your hands from working for as living?

Posted by johnbbad on Oct 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM

That is the full context. That’s the context that the Columbus newspaper put it in. That’s all the quotes the Columbus paper gave. Were you there for the interview? What information do you have that changes what he said? He said emergency rooms are just fine as health insurance for the stinking 47 percent.

Posted by Stack on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Who but the most disconnected person in America could tout the E.R. as “health care?”  The E.R. is “reactive to a crisis” medicine, not health care.  Is it possible that Romney simply cannot comprehend that, when people have access to health care, emergency room trips are most often avoided?

Posted by ORAXX on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

My God How stupid are you Americans ,,Health care is a Right!!! I’m Canadian and 60 years of age I can’t imagine having to pay for an operation or one of my kids having to pay “well dear we can either pay the mortgage or I can get this hernia fixed ” That’s Bullcrap in Canada you walk in and they fix you up there may be a wait but there sure as hell no cost!!

Posted by Peter on Oct 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM

You don’t think lower-income people haven’t been trying to fight to fix something like this?  Or at the very least haven’t been enraged when a system that’s supposed to take care of us doesn’t?  I honestly doubt in my lifetime America will ever have totally-free healthcare or even free college education like a few European countries do, but if the former happens at all I’d be grateful.  I don’t have insurance.  I’ve had a surgery, but I had to do it through a payment-plan service in my state because otherwise I couldn’t afford insurance premiums along with rent and food.

That’s exactly what it’s like.  Millions of people have to decide whether they want to use their hard-earned money for food, shelter, water, electricity, clothing, or medical expenses.  The number one thing that gets shoved off is medical expenses.  We can bear with this pain for two more weeks if it puts more into our checking/savings accounts.  We can bear with an increasingly debilitating condition if it means we have a roof over our heads for one more month.  I am personally more afraid of being homeless than I am of getting cancer.  I don’t even use the medical benefits I’m entitlted to at work because I want more from my paycheck coming back to me so I can keep myself warm and fed.  I’m lucky enough to have a strong constitution and a strong immune system that I never actually have to go to the doctor for anything, but I’ve watched my own mother—who has hypothyroid and for a time was taking medication for depression—struggle to decide what she should spend on, and a lot of the time her own medical expenses were on the bottom of the list.

If you want to be angry at anyone, be angry at the politicians who nothing about it.  I wouldn’t recommending calling all Americans stupid just because a few select people have their heads up their butts and refuse to take them out and actually see and know what’s going on.

Posted by Jess on Oct 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM