Fast-Forward to 2013

What life in Mitt Romney’s America would look like.

By Marilyn Katz

I'll give it to Mitt Romney. During the debate he looked and sounded pretty “presidential”: good haircut, power tie, in command (total control, really) of the debate. He followed the basic rules that I and other consultants tell our clients when they [RETURN TO ARTICLE]

• Reader Comments

Correction: the line “if Romney running mate Paul Ryan’s proposed “Path to Prosperity” budget were to pass, rather than prosperity, the U.S. will likely see another 4.1 billion jobs lost by 2014”  should read “4.1 million” jobs lost

Posted by James Scott on Oct 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

In Romney’s America. People are proud of their country being number 1 in the world.
    the kids today think that if you need money you just ask your folks for it. Families today go on welfare have 4 kids then the stay unwed so they can get benefits as a single mother. I have 1 child I get up everyday and dig to make a differance in my life im a recovering alcoholic so say I dont understand the daily struggles is out the door.
    I work to keep myself sober and to keep a roof over my families head. I can’t stand people who think things are owed to them. I pay my own health insurance every month $1600 for a family nobody goes to the dr. nobady smokes. I’m sure at least $300 of that $1600 is because of them accepting exsiting conditions and government assitance.. btw I;m a compasionate guy but why should I pay for someone else when I can hardly pay for myself? I pary evey night the Romney wins and America the country I love gets back on track.

Posted by John S on Oct 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Apologies for the mistake, it’s been corrected! Thanks for catching.

Posted by Jessica Stites on Oct 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

John S. if you actually worked a recovery program you would have compassion for those with less than you…you also should go get your GED.

Posted by sinkone on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

You are a complete idiot. Your right wing lies don’t cut it with anyone with an IQ higher than 90. Unfortunately, most repukes are that stupid. Romney wouldn’t spit on you if you were on fire. The country will be destroyed if that asshole steals it. Compassionate? YOU? What a laugh. You’re a disgusting selfish stupid jerk.

Posted by yahoo-7W5X47MM7LWNQA5TKVZMBYKONU on Oct 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Please, what would the truth look like?  Jobs have been shipped out of the U.S. purely for profit and that has hurt everyone, except the elite.  If someone burned your house down, and someone else put the fire out and started to rebuild it, in the middle of his efforts, someone else comes along that has a record of burning houses down, and starts to complain that its taking too long, really, you would trust the new guy to care?  Obama doesn’t stand to benefit by going up against the top 1%.  If anything, he is risking his life for us.  Romney is one of them, has the record to prove it, and you, one the the 47%, really think he is trustworthy.  The balance of power can only stay balanced when certain things are in place.  Do your homework and study what conditions lead to a Facist state, we are headed in that direction.  Starting with privatizing our common goods.  Getting rid of unions is another.  Growing monopolies.  Big business talks about wanting creativity and innovation, but if someone does come up with anything that cuts into their profits, at best they get closed down.  We don’t have growing jobs, because they won’t move until after the election.  Under Obama, their wealth is at a record.  They have the power and wealth to influence all these decisions.  Your income, your job, how much we pay for food, gas, health care.  They control all of this, because they can.  Obama is trying to save our democracy, so that we can restore a voice in these matters.  Think, read, observe, what would the truth look like?  If the Democrats had not fought for the common goods,  the Republicans would have had everyone making investments for their retirement, and social security and at the same time taking away the restrictions on big business.  The collapse would have been much more devastating to the poor and middle class.  But guess what, you know why big business doesn’t worry about that?  Because they actually gain from it in the end.  Think, read.  What would the truth look like?

Posted by R. J. on Oct 13, 2012 at 4:34 AM

As depressing as that sounds, it probably will take a President Romney to make things so terribly desperate for everyone that maybe then people will see the light and vote for their economic self-interest and not against.  But then again, maybe that’s giving Americans too much credit.

Posted by Marco Salvatori on Oct 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Maybe you should start drinking again a little.

Posted by Marco Salvatori on Oct 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Look, under Reagan, manufacturing jobs for Americans were at about 18 million, middle-class jobs, and started to drop drastically thereafter.  They started to go up under Clinton, and nosed dived to 12 million under the second Bush.  Why? Because those jobs continues to move over seas, because there was a profit for big business, which is their bottom line.This along with the unregulated practices of big business, and those under this hierarchy wanting to cash in from it, is what caused this major collapse. We cannot forget how we got into this mess.  Again, if we had listened to the Republicans and adopted voucher/investment practices that don’t secure income, my elderly parents and my retired sibling who is caring for them would have lost everything. Again, there will always be a balance of power needed to sustain our democracy.  If you think one black man in America has more power as an individual than the top 1% of corporate America, and you think he can rule over them alone, you need to stop drinking.  I don’t drink, I read and think.  Look around you. How many monopolies do you see around you that control the markets in the most important areas of our life.  What would the truth look like?  Everywhere you go,  you see the same businesses.  And the owners of all the different business are owned by the same families.  Look at “Bryzinski the movie” on Netflix.  You will see how powerful big business is and how it controls our government.  Cancer treatment is at the top of profits for these families.  They will go to great lengths to suppress any innovations that impact their profits.  The definition of Facism, is when big business controls government.  This documentary very clearly shows where this country is on that point.  The far right can scream Communism when Obama trys to balance the power struggle, because that is what it would look like, but in reality, he is pulling power to the middle.  Balance is what would save our democracy.  What would this truth look like?  Dr. Bryzinski would be able to cure cancer in our society, Dr. Max Gerson’s methods for curing cancer would not be oppressed and their clinics moved to other countries.  The young man who invented a device that gave 200 miles to the gallon would still be alive today, and we would be benefiting from his invention.  I could go on and on with cases of innovation that would have changed the financial benefits to the average American.  Think. Humans are so smart, how is it that we have stayed at a status quo in so many areas, and the cost for these areas keep sky rocketing.  New inventions tend to eventually drive cost down.  Better ideas and ways of doing it.  But this doesn’t allow for the largest profit margins. Because big business is controlling laws that give them advantage.  When Romney is asked about his tax shelters, he quickly says he never broke any laws.  That’s because they have put in laws that serve them well and weaken our country.  Remember, the collapse and movement of manufacturing jobs all happened under Republican administrations.  The noted increases and show of stabilization all occur under Democratic administration.  This is even evident under Obama, although, the collapse was so devastating to our economy, the initial momentum down has began its climb if you look at the charts that track manufacturing jobs.  This issue of big business taking manufacturing jobs outside of the U.S.  is vital to the middle-class and to the maintenance of democracy in the U.S. That is why Obama has fought hard against issues with China, and U.S. business practices.  Romney on the other hand was one the key figures in changing the way business treated American employees and was one of the figures that started to see the financial benefits in taking jobs over seas.  He is still making tons of money from just these practices.  What would truth look like?  Everything that Romney says should be suspect, what he said when he was speaking to his cronies is more congruent with his business tactics and their history.  I am pro-life, and it is hard for me to ignore that issue, but I have to look at all the evidence that shows a real threat to our democracy as we know it.  I pray for all of us to have wisdom in this matter, because many Republican presidents in the past have made statements that they never feared any threat Communism, feared more so that Facism was at our doorstep.  Guess what, we are dining with Fasim, and it is eating us out of house and home.

Posted by R.J. on Oct 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

That man scares me.

Mr. Romney’s ideas are great if you share his lifestyle.  I don’t.  I have four daughters, four granddaughters and one great granddaughter.  What hope will my “girls” have with his ideas for their bodies, their education and their rights.  I am not willing to place my lovely young ones back in time to the 1950’s.  Therefore, I will NOT vote for Romney or anyone who shares his vision.  Also, how could a man who ducked military service and protested FOR the Viet Nam war get my vote….He can’t.

Posted by Lois S. on Oct 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Man, Your brainwashing from the left wing Liberals took.  I don’t want a dictatorship. I want our free America to once again be the leader in this crazy old world.

Posted by Eleanor on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Idiot,  Your village is looking for you.

Posted by Eleanor on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM

John, I can relate to your thoughts and feelings as I am a recovering alcoholic.  I am retired and drawing S. S. and still have to pay taxes on that.  I just hate to see it go to those who refuse to help themselves.  Like the woman I saw in a news video who made the remark that the government owes her to pay for her kids college education.  “why should my kids ask me for money to educate them?”  In my day we worked and got loans to pay for our education, we didn’t have “student” loans, we had to get personal loans from the bank, and pay that back the minute you got a job.

Posted by Eleanor on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Think hurt brain. Liberal make sad. Liberal bad. LIE! Make america good again. Like on the teevee. With the beaver and gilligan and no welfare queens. Romney tv man, make america gooder. Like before.

Posted by Chris Bonner on Oct 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Eleanor, you do realize that people have to pay back student loans (with interest) just as they have to pay back personal loans? Perhaps you have college loans confused with grants or scholarships, which do not have to be paid back, but do very much have to be earned by the student who wins them, usually through high grades or exceptional talent in a particular sport, subject, or skill. In any case, getting a student loan is not a free ride. Your comment makes no sense.

Posted by morene on Oct 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Hi John S. About the kids asking for money…. wekll, that’s because mowing the lawn at the neighbors’ or at the local country club is now done by some dad whose job was outsourced to Vietnam by guys like Romney…
    as for the America No. 1 hogwash…. look around your walled community and cry. Some salesman once tried to sell me a condo in one of those places: I asked him what’s the difference between this and some low-sec prison… Nobody had ever asked the question, and that was really depressing.

Posted by Talleyrand on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:52 AM

People will awaken then—-we will implement tax on Estates and Income as in 1945-1980 to pay down the horrid Republican debt. Yes! GOP Debt.
    Failure to tax and get revenues to pay our way. In fact they cut taxes to lowest since before great depression Reagan started with 60% cut for top.70-28
    Bush out did him.. 1% got 37.6%—5% got 48.3% and bottom 60% got 16.4%
    Rich got ultra rich under Bush as he borrowed 6100 Billion.Yes! 6100.
    5800 to 11,900.
    At least one third of Obama Debt is from Bush big three—2 wars-tax cuts-Part D
    3 R presidents 1980-2009 added 9000B

Posted by Clarence Swinney on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Try rankings in OECD
    #2 Least Tax on Corporations
    #3 Least Taxed after Chile and Mexico
    #4 Inequality
    Ask pal how much we get in federal state local taxes as percent of gdp.
    I never got under 50%. 27% is number.
    We undertaxed wealth let them get rich off borrowed money
    The day will come. Up Estate Tax and Top Rate to 50%

Posted by Clarence Swinney on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Obama put federal student Loan payback at 10% of income
    why not brag?

Posted by Clarence Swinney on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

You are already paying for everyone with no insurance because they go to the emergency with things as simple as the flu. Hospitals are requir5ed to treat everyone, regardless of ability to pay so for who can’t pay, your premiums go up. That is why Obamacare is good for all of us. Mr. Romney said if kids want an education or start a small business they should go to their parents for it. Guess you didn’t hear that when he was on the campaign trail. If you think things are bad now, you ain’t seen nothing yet if Romney is elected. You are going to make up the difference where his tax numbers don’t add up and they don’t. The rich will get more again and you will get less. He will turn college loans back to the banks so the interest rate will go back to 6% instead of 3% as they are through direct loans from the government. You are buying his used car salesman story. How will you like it when you lose your home mortgage deduction, college load deduction, child tax credit. That is what your hero is going to do for you.

Posted by WitsEnd66 on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM

The last President who said that got us into 2 wars, one of which was a total scam job on people like you.  Romney wants 2 trillion more of your dollars for defense because he thinks might makes right.  He wants to negotiate with our soldiers lives and weapons instead of diplomacy.  He is being supported by Sheldon Adelson to the tune of 20 million dollars that we know of for the sole purpose of providing a war with Iran.  Why don’t you think we aren’t free now?  I think I know, but I would like to hear it from you.

Posted by WitsEnd66 on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Unless you are making more than $34,000 a year as a retiree, you are not paying taxes on your social security benefits.  There have been student loans for at least 50 years.  In our day, we could work to pay for college, but I know of no job part-time or otherwise that will cover the cost of college today.  The President made the smart move to take college loans away from the banks because the administrative costs and the interest rates were double what they would be if the government made college loans to students at half the rates banks were charging.

Posted by WitsEnd66 on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I am afraid you are right.  Look what harsh austerity programs are doing to Europe.  It is the worst thing we could do.  As bad as things are, we are so much better off than most of the countries in Europe.

Posted by WitsEnd66 on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Mitt pushing extension of Bush tax cuts
    1% get 37.6%—-5% get 48.3%—- and bottom 60% get 16,4%
    All to enirch rich all on borrowed money.
    Will we ever stop acting stupid?  Stop this nonsense.
    The Few own the many
    OECD Rankings for USA
    #4 in Inequality
    #3 as Least Taxed (Chile and Mexico tax less than usa)
    #2 as least tax on corporations
    Looks like Third World Country rankings

Posted by Clarence Swinney on Oct 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM

How do you save Detroit. . . It is now rated the most violent city in the United States…..a shameful no !......JOBS would be a nice start. a dirty job of cleaning up the city itself…....BUT as kids grow up - we tell them to do theri best in school - get a job work hard to get ahead…..As they grow up they look around and see ball players making more in one year than they will make in their lifetimes…...Work Hard to Get Ahead???
    Get Rich Quick -  the ball players do ???  drug dealers do -  pimps do -  whores - do ....................politicians are out of touch with reality….pay a cop three or four times of the workers - yes work hard and get ahead…..
    CEO pay has increased 725% over the last three decades
    the Banks -  Wall street -  the Bailout   -  the Foreclousres..” get a job - work hard to get ahead ???”
    our credibility is gone….we are bankrupt….affordable housing 0 (zero) none
    Jobs ) (zero) none…..CREDIBILITY = 0 (zero) none
    lie - cheat - steal - become a politician???  GET A JOB….....WORK HARD?????POLITICIANS HAVE HEALTHCARE - WE the PEOPLE DO NOT…..
    ...WE are number one in 0 ( ZERO) nothing…..education 0 (ZERO)  healthcare 0 (zero)  pensions 0 (zero)  and JOBS 0 (ZERO NONE - - WHERE????)
    no job - - no healthcare - -  no affordable housing - - -  but plenty of WAR - AFTER WAR - - AFTER WAR—and lots of foreign aid with our open borders

Posted by William Bednarz on Oct 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yes ! i think He perfectly suits for the Presidential position, not only his personality but the way he gave the speech made me to think in that fashion !

Medicare