Didn’t Watch the Super Bowl? You Still Got Charged

4 ways everyone in America pays a Sports Tax, including $1 billion a year to the NFL.

By David Sirota

When it comes to sports and taxes, I'm like most Americans. I like downing a beer and watching a good game every now and again, and I'm fine with paying my fair share of taxes for genuine societal necessities. What I'm not [RETURN TO ARTICLE]

• Reader Comments

You were making good points up until you claimed your cable bill is a tax.

Posted by f_galton on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I’m amazed that we taxpayers continue to support such nonsense.

Posted by krogerh on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM

The 5 million was only part of what was asked of Louisiana or more specifically New Orleans. You can bet that there was an incredible amount spent on police services, clean up and security as well.

Posted by da1e_e on Feb 10, 2013 at 5:01 PM

You forgot the biggest tax of all. The Fabulous Added Tax. Also known as the FAT tax. It applies to all the products that are “endorsed” by athletes and celebrities and the ad budgets that go with them. I.e., we all pay for the Super Bowl commercials huge costs straight out of our pockets in the form of more expensive products and services. Any time a celebrity endorses and product, that is always a red flag to me to avoid it.

Posted by Jon Stern on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Can you think of alternate to cable? For a high quality tv picture and fast internet? If you have one, please let me know. Until then we are all “taxed” for something that until recently, was 100% free.

Posted by Jon Stern on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Can you look up a definition of tax? Seriously, go do that.

Posted by f_galton on Feb 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Good. Great article. It’s about time, and really important, to really question and highlite the swindle that pro sports runs. What a f*** racket.

Posted by superbad2011 on Feb 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM

If you’re not a big watcher of much current programming, a good internet connection with something like netflix and perhaps hulu will be more than adequate.  If you want current programming, you’re pretty well stuck with cable, particularly since most of the stuff fit to watch isn’t on broadcast channels it’s on satellite channels and may even be on pay channels.

Posted by roseviolet on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I think the biggest one is that these leagues are exempt from monopoly prohibitions, so they have no competition and can (and do) charge exorbitant fees.

Posted by Thomas Westgard on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

And what about Major League Baseball?

Posted by Jack Ferry on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM