**Labor & the Long Road to Reunification in Korea (w/ Ju-Hyun Park)
Within the past two years, South Korea has seen major labor actions, including a general strike in October of 2021, and major crackdowns on organized labor, including the national intelligence agency raiding the offices of the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions in January of this year. In that same time, military and geopolitical tensions in the region have been rapidly intensifying. What is going on? What is the state of organized labor in South Korea, and how have imperialist and capitalist pressures, especially from the US, shaped the terrain upon which working people across the Korean Peninsula are struggling to live and work with dignity? We talk about all of this and more with Ju-Hyun Park, author, organizer, and Engagement Editor at The Real News Network.
Additional links/info below...
- Ju-Hyun's Twitter page
- Nodutdol Twitter page
- Jia Hong & Ju-Hyun Park, Truthout / The Real News Network, "Half a Million South Korean Workers Walk Off Jobs in General Strike"
- Dongmin Yang, The Real News Network, “'The President Forced Our Comrade to Die'—South Korea’s Workers Confront Yoon Seok Yeol’s Labor Crackdown"
- Joonseok, Left Voice, "South Korea: Building a Powerful General Strike Is Urgent to Fight Against the Right-Wing Government’s Attacks"
- Tim Shorrock, The Shorrock Files / The Real News Network, "
- Ju-Hyun Park, The Real News Network, "Biden Needs to Accept That the US Can’t Intimidate North Korea"
- Kap Seol, Labor Notes, "South Korea: Intelligence Agency Raids Top Union Confederation"
- Sam Yang, The Real News Network, "Squid Game and the Long Shadow of American Empire"
Permanent links below...
- Working People Patreon page
- Leave us a voicemail and we might play it on the show!
- Labor Radio / Podcast Network website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- In These Times website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- The Real News Network website, YouTube channel, podcast feeds, Facebook page, and Twitter page
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive: freemusicarchive.org)
- Jules Taylor, "Working People Theme Song