In These Times is a national, independent, progressive, nonprofit magazine dedicated to supporting movements for economic, social, racial and environmental justice. Founded in 1976, In These Times has seen record growth in recent years, as more and more people become engaged with campaigns for workers’ rights, democratic socialism, the movement for Black lives and the fight against climate change.
In collaboration with In These Times’ Development Director, our new Donor Engagement Specialist will be responsible for crafting, implementing and maintaining a donor engagement strategy and schedule. This strategy will include printed mass donor communications and a new series of fundraising events.
Writing and project management are essential aspects of this position. The Donor Engagement Specialist will produce numerous compelling and informative donor-directed pieces, including but not limited to our annual Impact Report, spring donor issue, quarterly fundraising appeals, house ads, bind-in envelopes, acknowledgment letters and other solicitation, cultivation and stewardship messages. They will see these pieces through to completion and receipt by donors.
Additionally, this position will be responsible for planning and executing In These Times’ fundraising events. With a special focus on our annual fall fundraiser, In These Times’ Donor Engagement Specialist will oversee all thematic and logistical aspects of both in-person and online development events, to be hosted both nationally and in Chicago. When hosting events, the Donor Engagement Specialist will always consider the donor experience and revenue results.
As an integral member of the In These Times fundraising team, the Donor Engagement Specialist will gain experience in nonprofit development, communications and event planning. Their efforts will help In These Times strengthen relationships with our supporters.
- 2+ years experience developing donor communications
- Outstanding written and presentation skills to persuasively convey the mission of In These Times
- Solid background and demonstrated competence in special events for fundraising
- Ability to work and communicate with a wide range of external and internal constituents including donors, leadership, staff and outside vendors
- Team oriented with a full understanding of the dynamics of working with a diverse group to meet organizational goals
- Ability to function independently in a fast-paced, high volume, multi-faceted, results-oriented work environment
- Ability to analyze issues, identify priorities, manage projects and make decisions expeditiously while maintaining close attention to detail
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications and Google Suites
- Chicago residence required
In These Times is a proud union workplace with an internal culture that strives to live up to the ideals we advocate every day through our journalism. This is a union position with the NewsGuild-CWA.
This is a full-time position in our office on 2040 N. Milwaukee Avenue on Chicago’s West Side. We anticipate this will be a hybrid position that requires regular work in our Chicago office as well as in-person coordination with outside vendors and venues.
The salary is $50,000-$60,000 depending on experience. This is a full-time, 40-hour a week position with generous benefits, including:
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision insurance (including full coverage for partners and dependents)
- 100% paid short-term and long-term disability insurance, as well as life insurance
- Employer matched (3%) SIMPLE IRA plan
- 16 paid holidays
- 20 days paid vacation
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
In These Times is an equal opportunity employer. People of all classes, races, ethnicities, gender identities and abilities that are under-represented in media are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, email resume and cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this mid-level In These Times position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line, “Donor Engagement Specialist.” Please include 3 writing samples of donor communication or event materials you have produced. This position will remain open until it is filled. No phone calls.