“Flight attendants at Delta are currently pushing to form a union at the only major airline in the US where flight attendants are not unionized," journalist and friend of the show Michael Sainato recently wrote in The Guardian. "The aim is to allow the airline’s 23,000 flight attendants to vote on whether to unionize with the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA) and will face fierce opposition from an airline that has fought previous efforts.” Delta has fiercely fought off unionization efforts in the past, but workers and organizers are confident that this time they'll get a victory. We talk with Jonnie Lane, who works at Delta and has been a flight attendant for the past 15 years, about her path to working in the airline industry, what it's been like working as a flight attendant before and during COVID-19, and what a union would mean for Jonnie and her coworkers.
Additional links/info below...
- Jonnie's Twitter page
- Delta AFA website and Twitter page
- AFA-CWA website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- Michael Sainato, The Guardian, "Delta Flight Attendants Race to Unionize: ‘We’re the People Behind the Profits’"
- Meagan Day, Jacobin, "Once Again, Flight Attendants Are Leading the Way"
- Gabby Del Valle, Vox, "Delta Told Its Workers to Buy Video Games Instead of Unionizing"
- The People's Forum, "BOOK TALK: The Work of Living with Maximillian Alvarez"
Permanent links below...
- Working People Patreon page
- Leave us a voicemail and we might play it on the show!
- Labor Radio / Podcast Network website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- In These Times website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- The Real News Network website, YouTube channel, podcast feeds, Facebook page, and Twitter page
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive: freemusicarchive.org)
- Jules Taylor, "Working People Theme Song