Live Show: We Need You—Yes, You—to Join the Labor Movement (w/ Chris Smalls, Vince Quiles, Sarah Beth Ryther, Tafadar Sourov, & Riley Fell)
We hosted another Working People live show on Feb. 22 in New York City, in collaboration with the Action Builder / Action Network team and The People's Forum. In this panel discussion, introduced by Amazon Labor Union president Chris Smalls, Max speaks with worker-organizers from around the country about why they and their coworkers decided not to quit their jobs but to commit to improving their workplaces, what the day-to-day work of organizing looks like, and how you—yes, you—can get involved and help grow the labor movement. Panelists include: Vince Quiles of Home Depot Workers United in Philadelphia; Tafadar Sourov of Laborers Local 79 in NYC; Sarah Beth Ryther of Trader Joe's United in Minneapolis; and Riley Fell of Starbucks Workers United in Baltimore.
Additional links/info below...
- Vince's Twitter page and TikTok
- Home Depot Workers United Twitter page
- Laborers Local 79 website, Twitter page, and Facebook page
- Trader Joe's United website, Twitter page, and Instagram
- Trader Joe’s United Solidarity Fund
- Riley's Instagram
- Starbucks Workers United website, Twitter page, and Instagram
- Action Network website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- Action Builder website
- The People's Forum website, Twitter page, and Facebook page
- Amazon Labor Union website, Facebook page, Twitter page, and Instagram
- Working People, "Vince Quiles"
- Maximillian Alvarez, The Real News Network, "He Tried to Organize Home Depot's First Union. Now He's Unemployed"
- Jeff Schuhrke & Sarah Beth Ryther, Jacobin, "Trader Joe’s Workers Have Won Their First Unions in America"
- Working People, "Alex P."
- Maximillian Alvarez, The Real News Network, "This NYC Construction Union Is Reaching Out to Undocumented and Non-Union Workers. The Bosses Don’t Like It"
- Working People, "New York Is a Union Town (w/ Chaz Rynkiewicz)"
- Ashley Bishop, The Nation, "Immigrant Construction Workers Fight Back Against Exploitation"
- Maximillian Alvarez, The Real News Network, "The Historic, Youthful, Rank-and-File Movement to Unionize Starbucks"
- Maximillian Alvarez, Breaking Points, "Starbucks Leads Corporate CRIME WAVE To Crush Union Workers"
Permanent links below...
- Working People Patreon page
- Leave us a voicemail and we might play it on the show!
- Labor Radio / Podcast Network website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- In These Times website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- The Real News Network website, YouTube channel, podcast feeds, Facebook page, and Twitter page
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive: freemusicarchive.org)
- Jules Taylor, "Working People Theme Song