We wanted to make sure you didn't miss the announcement of our new Sustainer program. Once you've finished reading, take a moment to check out the new program, as well as all the benefits of becoming a Sustainer.
Henry Waxman, Chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has written a letter to Mike Duncan, Chairman of the Republican National Committee, regarding potential violations of the Presidential Records Act caused by the use of RNC e-mail accounts by White House officials for official communications.The letter (pdf) says: At the hearing on May 8, the Committee will expect you to be prepared to address the issues discussed in the Committee's recent correspondence with the RNC, including the following topics:
l. The names, titles, and e-mail addresses of all White House officials who have used RNC e-mail accounts:
2. The number of communications each White House official sent or received using RNC e-mail accounts each year, including the number of communications sent to or received from official ".gov" e-mail accounts each year;
3. Policies and procedures relating to the preservation, storage, or destruction of communications transmitted using RNC e-mail accounts;
4. Communications between the RNC and any government entity (including the White House) regarding the use of RNC e-mail accounts by White House officials, including communications about the preservation, storage, or destruction of communications transmitted using RNC e-mail accounts;
5. Any destruction of communications sent or received by White House offrcials using RNC e-mail accounts;
6. Steps taken by the RNC to preserve or recover communications sent or received by White House officials using RNC e-mail accounts; and
7. Steps taken by the RNC to respond to the Committee's requests for information and documents.
I remain willing to consider ways in which the RNC could provide this information that would not require your testimony. You or your counsel should contact Committee staff if you would like to discuss alternative means of responding to the Committee.