May Day Reminds Us That Labor's Fight & the Fight Against Mass Incarceration Are Connected (w/ Mansa Musa)
Max and Jules want to wish everyone out there a happy May Day (ie International Workers Day)! To commemorate this most sacred of holidays, we are sharing with our audience the audio of a special holiday crossover edition of Rattling the Bars, The Real News Network's weekly YouTube show about the violence and victims of the prison-industrial complex—and how we can fight against it. In this episode, Max sits down with Rattling the Bars host Mansa Musa, a former political prisoner who was locked up for 48 years, to talk about the history and spirit of May Day, and about how this day reminds us that the labor movement and the movement to end the brutal system of mass incarceration are fundamentally intertwined.Additional links/info below...
- Rattling the Bars series page
- Working People, "(Unlocked) BONUS EPISODE: Mansa Musa"
- Working People, "The Srsly Wrong MAY DAY Crossover Special (w/ Working People, Rebel Steps, & Doomer V. Bloomer)"
- Raechel Anne Jolie, In These Times, "Why May Day Continues to Capture the Hearts and Imaginations of Workers"
Permanent links below...
- Working People Patreon page
- Leave us a voicemail and we might play it on the show!
- Labor Radio / Podcast Network website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- In These Times website, Facebook page, and Twitter page
- The Real News Network website, YouTube channel, podcast feeds, Facebook page, and Twitter page
Featured Music (all songs sourced from the Free Music Archive: freemusicarchive.org)
- Jules Taylor, "Working People Theme Song