Don't miss the special, extra-length issue of In These Times devoted entirely to the subject of socialism in America today. This special issue is available now. Order your copy today for just $5.00, shipping included.
It’s a big week for Medicare for All. Today the House Rules Committee will hold its first-ever congressional hearing to discuss U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal’s (D-Wash.) Medicare for All Act of 2019, and on Wednesday, the Congressional Budget Office will release a report addressing many of the key questions about single-payer healthcare. This discussion couldn’t come soon enough. Here’s a statistical snapshot of the gravity of America’s current healthcare crisis.
- 28,300,000 - People uninsured in the United States in the first quarter of 2018.
- 530,000 - Estimated number of families who file bankruptcy each year due to medical issues and bills
- 44% - Americans who didn’t go to a doctor when they were sick or injured because of cost, according
- 34% - Cancer patients who borrowed money from friends or family to pay for care in 2016
- 79% - Increased death rate for cancer patients who filed for bankruptcy in 2016
- $75,375 - Cost of a heart bypass operation in 2016 in the U.S.
- $15,742 - Cost of a heart bypass operation in 2016 in the Netherlands
- $1,443 - U.S. per capita spending on pharmaceutical costs in 2016, the highest in the world
- 840% - Increase in spending for insulin from 2007 to 2017 on Medicare Part D (Medicare’s prescription drug plan)
- $5,110,000,000,000 - Estimated 10-year cost savings of the single-payer healthcare system proposed in Sen. Bernie Sanders’ Medicare for All Act
In this new book, longtime organizers and movement educators Mariame Kaba and Kelly Hayes examine the political lessons of the Covid-19 pandemic and its aftermath, including the convergence of mass protest and mass formations of mutual aid. Let This Radicalize You answers the urgent question: What fuels and sustains activism and organizing when it feels like our worlds are collapsing?
We've partnered with the publisher, Haymarket Books, and 100% of your donation will go towards supporting In These Times.