The latest issue of In These Times is a special, extra-length issue devoted entirely to the subject of socialism in America today. This special issue is available now. Order your copy today.
It’s a big week for Medicare for All. Today the House Rules Committee will hold its first-ever congressional hearing to discuss U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal’s (D-Wash.) Medicare for All Act of 2019, and on Wednesday, the Congressional Budget Office will release a report addressing many of the key questions about single-payer healthcare. This discussion couldn’t come soon enough. Here’s a statistical snapshot of the gravity of America’s current healthcare crisis.
- 28,300,000 - People uninsured in the United States in the first quarter of 2018.
- 530,000 - Estimated number of families who file bankruptcy each year due to medical issues and bills
- 44% - Americans who didn’t go to a doctor when they were sick or injured because of cost, according
- 34% - Cancer patients who borrowed money from friends or family to pay for care in 2016
- 79% - Increased death rate for cancer patients who filed for bankruptcy in 2016
- $75,375 - Cost of a heart bypass operation in 2016 in the U.S.
- $15,742 - Cost of a heart bypass operation in 2016 in the Netherlands
- $1,443 - U.S. per capita spending on pharmaceutical costs in 2016, the highest in the world
- 840% - Increase in spending for insulin from 2007 to 2017 on Medicare Part D (Medicare’s prescription drug plan)
- $5,110,000,000,000 - Estimated 10-year cost savings of the single-payer healthcare system proposed in Sen. Bernie Sanders’ Medicare for All Act
Celebrate 47 years of In These Times in style! Get your raffle tickets today for your chance to win a vacation for two to Cascais, Portugal!
One lucky raffle winner will receive a $3,000 gift card to cover the costs of two flights, as well as a stay in a 5-star boutique hotel, housed in a 17th century fortress with medieval architecture and décor. You can schedule the trip on your timeline!
All raffle ticket sales support ongoing In These Times reporting, just like the article you just finished reading. Get your raffle tickets now.
The winner will be selected on the night of September 30, at the In These Times 47th Anniversary Celebration. You do not need to be present at the drawing to win.